The following recipe has been provided by Miguel Maestre as part of Stockland’s Unwrap Christmas campaign. Find out more at https://www.stockland.com.au/christmas
Miguel Maestre’s Christmas Berry Trifle
2 packets of raspberry jelly crystals
2 punnets blueberries
2 punnets raspberries
50g shelled pistachios
100g caster sugar
1L thick custard, store bought
1L thickened cream
12 tablespoons icing sugar
2 vanilla pods
1 punnet of strawberries, hulled and halved
1 punnet strawberries, whole
Mint leaves to garnish
- Take a trifle bowl approximately 20cm in diameter. Make the jelly according to packet instructions and pour into the trifle bowl. Add half a punnet of raspberries and half a punnet of blueberries to the jelly liquid and rest the trifle bowl on an angle in the fridge (prop the base up with a saucer). Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- Whilst the jelly is setting, make the pistachio praline. Place a lightly greased sheet of baking paper onto a baking tray. Spread the pistachios over the paper.
- Heat the caster sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat without stirring, until the sugar dissolves and liquid turns a deep brown caramel colour.
- Pour the mixture over the pistachios. Allow the caramel to cool and set hard, then roughly chop into pieces.
- Once the jelly is set, pour thickened custard into the bowl until jelly layer is covered. Sprinkle the pistachio praline over the custard.
- Next, cut the sponge cake horizontally, making two thinner layers. Using a piece of string to cut the cake is a great way to cut the cake evenly. Place one of the layers on top of the custard.
- To make the Chantilly cream lightly beat the cream in a large chilled bowl until it begins to thicken. Add icing sugar and seeds scraped from the vanilla pods. Continue to beat until firm peaks form when the beaters are lifted from the cream.
- Layer whipped cream on top of the sponge cake and then place strawberry halves around the trifle bowl, with the cut sides to the glass.
- Repeat layers of whipped cream and strawberry halves.
- Garnish with remaining whole mixed berries and mint leaves.
Need help with this recipe? Find it at www.stockland.com.au