One of the great things about buying a used car is that you can access some great deals with lower upfront costs and minimal fuss in terms of finance requirements. You could also find your dream car, albeit a few years older than a brand new one, at an affordable price by choosing to look at used rather than new.
Ready to get started? Follow these tips to find your perfect used car.
Tips to Find Your Next Used Car
1. Do research. There are a lot of online resources available to you to help with this, in particular sites like carsales.com.au; not only do they provide you with access to hundreds of used cars for sale, they also provide a buyer’s guide that gives you the run down on each make and model.
The only downside of using an online site like this is that you may have to go out and look at a few cars, get your mechanic to check them out and then start the process again if you find out that there are issues you’re not quite prepared to work with.
2. Review local car dealerships. You can do this one of two ways; research and read reviews online about local car dealers or visit them in person and see how you’re treated.
A good dealership should have a lot of positive reviews on both dedicated review sites, such as TrueLocal.com.au, as well as actual customer feedback and testimonials on their site or Facebook page. Make sure you take the time to check them out online before committing to anything.
3. Stay local. Look at local private sales within your area. Quite often you’ll be able to find a great deal and not have to worry about hidden costs.
There can also be downsides to dealing with private used car sales. You need to take a bit of extra care when dealing with someone privately and it would be in your own best interests to ensure that you have a mechanic check out the car prior to any funds being handed over.
4. Decide on your car. Before you start looking for the perfect used car, it’s best to have a car make and model in mind. This can cut down the process of looking for a car by half and stops you from wasting too much time trying to figure out what car to buy.
Here’s a few things you should take into consideration:
- a. How many km’s has it done. Anything over 200,000 km’s needs more servicing and could have more issues which become apparent within 6 months of purchase.
- b. What’s the fuel economy like? With fuel prices continuing to increase, finding a used car that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to fill is your best option if you’re looking to reduce your on-road costs.
- c. How big of a car do you need? Do you have a large family or is it just you and your partner? Who else will you be regularly having in the car?
- d. How many owners does the car have? What is its history? Has it had any accidents?
One of the best used car’s available in the market is a Hyundai. They have a variety of model’s available that will suit most people’s needs. They are economical and have a great track record out of the factory.
Choosing a used car doesn’t have to be difficult at all. For more information on used car sales, take a look at our range of Phil Gilbert Used Cars online or speak to one of our experts today.