Following a low carbohydrate diet doesn’t mean you have to miss out on your favourite Easter treats. In the second of two free recipes from Atkins, you can make these Low Carb Easter Buns at home.
Makes 6 buns, 3.3 grams of carbohydrates per bun.
50ml unsweetened almond milk
70g almond flour
60g coconut flour
¼ Tsp. salt
¼ Tsp. baking soda
½ Tsp. ground cinnamon
½ Tsp. mixed spice
2 Tsp. grated orange peel
1 Atkins Endulge Milk Chocolate bar
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees C and line a flat baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Sieve the almond flour and coconut flour into a mixing bowl. Add the baking soda, salt, spices and grated orange peel and combine. Add the eggs and almond milk and mix well.
- Optional: To make chocolate hot cross buns, shave half of the Atkins Endulge milk chocolate bar and stir through the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 6 even parts. Using your hands, roll the mixture into balls. Place the balls of mixture onto the lined baking tray and squash down gently to flatten the base of each ball.
- Using a knife, carve a cross about half cm deep, in the top of each bun. Shave slivers of chocolate into the carved lines to create chocolate crosses. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a bun comes out clean.
- To serve Enjoy fresh out of the oven. Or, if the buns have cooled, cut in half and lightly toast to warm. Store in an air-tight container in a cool place.
Scientifically formulated for safe weight loss, management and lifelong eating, New Atkins is an easy to follow, flexible four-phased program (start at the phase that best suits you) that helps you build a diet around whole foods rich in vitamins and ‘good carbohydrates’ including low sugar fruits, leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes, dairy, good fats, and protein (fish, poultry, red meat and tofu) – while at the same time helping you eliminate ‘bad’, highly processed carbs such as white flour and sugar.
For further information or more carbohydrate-controlled recipe ideas, visit atkins.com