Given the devastation caused by the bushfires in Victoria that commenced on 29 January 2009 and may continue into March 2009, the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) has been activated to assist people who have been adversely affected as a direct result of the Victorian Bushfires.
Payments of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child, will be available where, as a direct result of the Victoria fires:
the person is seriously injured, or the person is:
- the immediate family member of an Australian killed; and
- the first immediate family member to make a claim for the payment in respect of the major disaster, or
- the person’s principal place of residence has been destroyed, or
- the person’s principal place of residence has sustained major damage, or
- the person was unable to return to their principal place of residence for a period of 24 hours or more.
For more information on eligibility or if you have any queries visit the website http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/emergency/vic_bushfires.htm or contact Centrelink on 180 2211.