A 2015 survey by Officeworks found that 87% of small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) believe that tidy and inspiring workspaces increase productivity. Officeworks also partnered with one of Australia’s most highly regarded interior architects, David Flack of Flack Studio, to show how it’s possible to create stylish office looks for less.
David Flack’s top ten tips for creating a stylish office look for less are:
1. Select furniture to represent your brand. This makes a big contribution to creating the character of your office environment. It goes without saying that it needs to be practical, but injecting a little bit of fun or luxury will be an enjoyable point of difference. Opt for quality that can stand the day-in, day-out of office activity – this doesn’t always mean an expensive price tag either.
2. Cohesion is what keeps a business and a work space humming along. Aligning all your stationery and accessories to a colour group or style range ensures that your office looks uncluttered, organised and inviting.
3. Always consider texture. Select practical, simple and durable finishes. Layer different textures to create a balanced ambiance.
4. Lighting makes a big impact on the feel of a room. Adequate task lighting is essential, but overly bright spaces can be an assault on the senses. Wherever possible, let natural light in to create a balanced ambiance.
5. Keep it simple. Reduce the amount of ideas you have for your space – pick the best one and stick to it. A singular vision with repetition is often most effective.
6. Look at beautiful things. Having artwork on the walls makes an invaluable contribution to the feel of a space. A large, striking photograph in a minimal frame can take care of this. Try hanging a print of your own – it’s so easy to do using the Officeworks print and copy services.
7. It’s all in the detail. Small, nuanced touches like indoor plants or fresh flowers, a scented candle, stacks of beautiful books, and loose sculptural objects bring personality and liveliness to an office environment.
8. Break-out spaces are ideal for re-energising. Sometimes there’s a temptation to save time by taking lunch in front of the computer, but eating, socialising or even doing some work in a different, pleasant spot away from your desk can be invigorating. Even just a feature chair by a quiet window could be the solution.
9. Keep business branding to a minimum within the space. You know why you’re there and clients have already come to you knowing the same! A beautifully designed business card that reflects your brand will do the trick.
10. Music can make all the difference. Of course, it depends on your environment and others working around you, but wherever possible try to listen to music that makes you feel inspired and enlivened. Officeworks has some great quality portable speakers for this purpose that are also visually appealing.