“A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” Tenneva Jordan could not have been more on point; this is a mother. That being said however, what can a mother do to treat herself on Mother’s Day? Check out these ten fun filled suggestions, they’ll make you smile!
1. Be happy. You are going to be happy on Mother’s Day. Before anything that you do for yourself, being happy will be the catalyst for making it enjoyable. Therefore, make a concerted effort in being super positive to all those around you and letting go about the things that irk you. Only then will you be able to start pampering yourself in the way you truly deserve.
2. Don’t cook. Throughout the day—breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snack times, do not attempt to prepare a thing. If husband is no chef, order in. Deep relaxation will come from knowing that 7:00am, 12:00pm, and 6:00pm are taken care of.
3. Be pretty. Pick one thing that makes you feel pretty and do it. Is it a pedicure? A new skirt? Or maybe a cool haircut? Take care of it as early as possible so you can feel it throughout the day.
4. Online slots. What could be a better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than to start your day off playing one of your favorite online slots games? Keep the game open on your computer or phone and play throughout the day. And hey if you win some money you’ll be able to spend it purely on yourself today—it’s Mother’s Day!
5. Picture day. Hire a photographer for a one hour shoot and get your family captured in their natural state. You can do breakfast time or out in the yard, or both! The less posed, the better. You will appreciate the freedom and fun expressed in these special pictures.
6. Arts and crafts. Tell your kids to gather ‘round as you will be doing a special Mommy art project with them for Mother’s Day. Begin the project by discussing what a mother is. If the discussion seems a bit dry, ask questions to elicit answers. What’s your favorite memory of mom? For each letter in M.O.T.H.E.R can you come up with a unique description of your mom? What does a mom hug feel like? Then have your children draw it. The room should be prepared with quality art paper, colored pencils, cool stickers, glitter, etc. This should be fun for everyone, dad should partake too!
7. Family trip. Take a family trip to your very favorite place. Whether this is the farmer’s market or the aquarium, the trip should be in your honor. Do what you can to make it pleasurable for all ages involved. Prepare a scavenger hunt (or have the kids make it and you join in the hunting) and buy everyone vanilla ice cream with sprinkles. Lay yourself out on the grass and relax in the warm spring sun with your eyes closed, just listening to the laughter of your favorite people in the world.
8. Call your mother. Get on the phone with your mother and tell her all the things you would have never known about mothers had you not become one yourself. Be risky, she will appreciate it and so will you. Tell her how much you love her and how much you now know she loves you.
9. Reminisce. Begin a list that will last your life time. This will be your official Mother list. Write a few things down that are meaningful to you about being a mother. The scope can be wide and can include anything mother related but should remain positive and happy. For example, what it means to be a mother, what a mother notices about the world that others do not, precious moments, mommy epiphanies, etc. Every year you will add to this list. Some years you will add more and some years less. But whenever you are wanting inspiration it will be a great piece to look at for the rest of your life (and your children’s too!)
10. Date night. Do whatever you can to get out alone with your husband or partner. Think of the right people who can help arrange this with you, i.e. grandpa. The alone time with your significant other, the one who partnered in making you a mother, will give a happily ever after to the wonderful day just spent.