With the holiday season fast approaching it is important to ensure your home and contents are adequately protected against thieves. CommInsure, part of the Commonwealth Bank Group of companies, says its figures traditionally show a marked increase in household theft over this period.
CommInsure Managing Director Simon Swanson said the lure of any empty house over the Christmas period is a big temptation for opportunistic thieves looking to avoid a similar downturn to the one impacting the rest of us this Christmas.
“It’s a time for extra vigilance, especially for families taking a well earned break and going away for any period of time. It’s also important for people to double check their insurance as we head into this period to ensure that any expensive Christmas presents, such as jewellery and electronics, are adequately covered in
your contents insurance policy,” Mr Swanson said.
CommInsure has issued its top five tips to keep your home and contents safe when you are away these holidays:
1. Don’t make it easy for criminals – Install deadlocks and locks on all doors and windows
2. Backed up mailboxes are a beacon for thieves – Get someone to collect your mail or have it redirected
3. Make your house looks lived in – Install timers for lights and radios and if you’re away for extended periods ask a friend to mow your lawn
4. Phone a friend – Give a neighbour your mobile number in case they see something suspicious
5. Don’t leave it to chance – Do a double check before you leave the house to make sure it is securely locked up and no valuables are visible from the street.
For more information about CommInsure visit www.comminsure.com.au