A woman’s impact on the design of her new home is greater today than ever before. 90% of the time, it is the woman who makes the final decision on the purchase of the new family home. She knows what she wants and prefers not to compromise!
Unlike her male partner who is guided by the overall house size and dimensions, outside areas and of course ‘the shed’, women seek functional and practical aspects. She looks for dining areas with easily cleaned floors, storage space particularly linen and laundry areas, the ‘feel of the home’ and ambience also play a large part for kinesthetic-driven females.
Aesthetics are becoming increasingly more important when moving house; the interior paint, flooring type, design, appliances, functionality and even energy pathways and Feng-Shui.
The top 7 things women look for in a new home:
1. The Kitchen – Sighted as the number one aspect that influences the female home purchaser, the kitchen takes center stage. It is said that ‘home is where the heart is and the heart of the home is the kitchen!’ Practical, well-planned kitchens that include space for dining, entertaining and socialising are becoming more popular.
2. Storage / Big Cupboards – Women love space to store, to move and to grow. After first inspecting the kitchen, the woman will typically head to the bedroom checking out the ‘feel’, the wardrobe and closet space. Cupboards and drawers that help take control of clutter and organise the family’s belongings are a must.
3. Location – We know that location is important to all, but for women it’s a high priority. Even a smaller home with great character will fulfill a female purchasers wants more so than a large mansion, if she loves the location. For the kids, being close to schools and amenities helps mothers make the decision to purchase an easier one.
4. Security – If she has a doubt about safety and security in the home, proximity to open parklands, neighbours too far away, etc this will impact the purchase decision, particularly for single women.
5. Space for Socialising – Women love a home that provides a comfortable environment to share with their friends. This could mean a kitchen counter for friends to gather around, or an area in the home with chairs and a sofa pulled up for girlie gatherings. A space where they can relax with friends is a must.
6. A Laundry – Location of the Laundry is a high priority too. Understandably, many of us don’t want to peer into a disorganised laundry upon entering the home through the garage. Being greeted by a pile of laundry at the end of a long day is not a pleasant feeling. A simple laundry located near bedrooms or close to the kitchen is much better.
7. Low Maintenance – Low maintenance homes are important as this can impact quality family time, or add to the cost of external maintenance services. Female homebuyers prefer exteriors that don’t need painting, have simple landscaping and preferably new or recently renovated.
Buying a home is an emotional process and given the high price tag, the impact of a wrong decision is enough to make any woman squirm.