This information is brought to you by business.gov.au
If you’re looking for advice on how to collect debt, try the recently updated Debt collection guideline for collectors and creditors.
Who the guide is for
The guide can help you if you’re:
- collecting debt that is owed to your business
- using a debt collection service to collect debt for your business
- running a debt collection business.
What the guide does
The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission and the Australian Securities & Investments Commission wrote the guide to give basic information about debt collection.
- explains the laws that apply to debt protection, including consumer protection laws, privacy laws and fair trading laws
- gives examples on how laws have been applied in real life cases
- offers practical tips on how to contact and negotiate with debtors (the people or businesses that owe you money).
What the guide doesn’t do
The guide doesn’t cover every detail of the laws that apply to debt protection, and shouldn’t be used in place of professional advice.
Where to get the guide
Get a free copy of the Debt collection guideline for collectors and creditors now on the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission website!
You can download a PDF or Word version, or read the guide online.