Ever since the dawn of the internet, web design has been a massive industry. And do-it-yourself website builders like Wix are indeed becoming more and more popular. These online tools make it extremely simple and easy for people with no experience to build and launch websites within a few hours. Clearly, the rise in popularity of these websites has been undeniable in recent years.
However, there will always be a demand in the market for developers and designers who can provide their expertise to a client that understands the importance of a strong web presence.
Undoubtedly, websites like Wix are great for amateurs and non-developers to put out a basic website, but such websites will often lack good UI and UX skills, which makes the site successful.
In this post, we will discuss both the pros and cons of using a do-it-yourself page builder like Wix and a professional web development agency.
Pros of Using Wix or Any Other Page Builder
- Some of the website building platforms like Wix have a free option. This means anyone with basic internet and computer knowledge can use it anytime on any device.
- With Wix, you get access to several features that enable you to take full control of your website design. You can also choose from various industry-specific templates and make use of its drag-and-drop editor to place elements as per your desire.
- If you have built your website with the help of Wix or any other page builder, you can directly update and revamp your page online without going to a web development agency.
Cons Of Using Wix or Any Other Page Builder
- You will need to learn and implement best practice principles of UX, UI, SEO, Load Speed, Design, Communication, and Security. Wix or a page builder will only provide you with an off the shelf template as a starting point.
- Quite often, the theme you choose might not sync well with your content (text, images, etc.) Trying to choose the right theme and not knowing why it’s not looking great may result in a waste of time and money.
- With a page builder, you might have to quality-assure your own work, which can be difficult as you need to learn everything and also implement it. This can often consume a lot of your time, meaning the turnaround will not be that quick.
- If you want to customize things on your website, it can be difficult for you to do it without coding. You will just be burning your time figuring out something that you cannot do.
- In case you decide to move to another platform, Wix will not be able to export your data. You will have to manually copy and paste all the content and data details to the new website.
Pros of Using a Web Development Agency
- Most web development agencies have processors, people, and systems in place to ensure you get what you want. If you want your site to appear on top of Google search results, then the agency will produce a website built around that principle. If the brief is to support your existing clients, then the site will be built to cohere to the best practices of a member’s site.
- Web development agencies have a team of people that specialize in different aspects of website development — backend and frontend developers, designers, and also project managers that keep the project moving.
- If you are a bit confused about what should be the goals of your website, agencies can work with you to help you create your brief as part of the website cost.
- Web development agencies have the responsibility to deliver quality work as per your requirements of the brief.
- If there is something wrong with your site, a web development agency can fix it if you are on a care plan, or the agency is at fault. You can seek advice from the web development agency on what your next move should be.
Cons Of Using a Web Development Agency
- Web development agencies need to be paid, and it’s not cheap.
- Agencies often take on too much work and can miss deadlines. So you need to be prepared for that.
- You might have to attend regular meetings to see the progress report and the plan to move forward.
- If you change your brief halfway through the project, the agency will need to be compensated for work already done that now has to be scrapped.
- All professional web development agencies have systems and processors in place, which they may require you to also get involved in. These systems may include project management systems, design feedback systems, client portal systems, etc.
- Choosing an agency that does not have any systems in place can end up being a painful experience, and you could be left wondering how your project is going with no easy way to find out.
As a professional web designer, you should not worry about the existence of do-it-yourself web platforms like Wix because artificial intelligence can never replace the strategy and intricate logic of a human brain.
Yes, there are some businesses out there who prefer inexpensive and easy-to-use-options. Still, nothing is better than the efficiency, flexibility, and originality of a website designed by actual professionals.