Summer means a change in wardrobe from jeans and boots, to skirts and sandals. But before you slip into that swimsuit or pretty frock, you’ll want to make sure you are up-to-date with the latest information on hair removal for your legs, under arms and bikini area.
While most of us start shaving at 13, many women have never been taught everything they need to know about shaving. But with help from the makers of Schick Hydro Silk™ we are going to change all that! We gave five of our readers the Schick Hydro Silk™ women’s razor to try when it was first launched last year and they loved it!
Firstly, some myth busting.
A common myth is that shaving makes the hairs grow back thicker, which isn’t accurate at all. Most girls start shaving in their teen years when hormone changes can cause hair to darken on the legs and under arms, making it appear thicker during regrowth. Shaving only removes hair at the surface of the skin and has no effect on hair regrowth. If it did, other hair on your body, including the hair on your head, would grow back darker and thicker and we all know that doesn’t happen. It’s the sharp edge caused by shaving the hair creates the rough “stubble” you can feel on your legs or armpits.
Top tips for achieving a smooth shave and summer ready pins:
- To avoid cuts and nicks use long even strokes without applying excessive pressure and use a clean, sharp blade ‐ newer blades require less force to cut through the hair than dull blades.
- Change your blade regularly as a sharp blade is crucial for getting a close, comfortable, irritation‐free shave.
- For an optimal high‐performance shave, cartridges should be replaced after five uses.
- Legs ‐ Use long, even strokes without applying excessive pressure. Shave carefully over bony areas like ankles, shins and knees.
- Knees ‐ Bend slightly to pull the skin tight before shaving, as folded skin is difficult to shave.
- Underarms ‐ Lift your arm up while shaving to pull skin tight. Shave from the bottom up, allowing the razor to glide over the skin.
- Bikini Area ‐ Moisten hair for three minutes with water and then apply a thick shaving gel. This preparation is a must, as the hair in the bikini area tends to be thicker and denser, making it more difficult to cut. Shave horizontally, from the outside to the inside of the upper thigh, using smooth even strokes.
Of all the new razors that have launched in the last 12 months, Hydro Silk has become the number one selling razor amongst Australian women¹. One of the reasons Hydro Silk is so effective in achieving that winning shave are the 5 curve sensing blades, specially designed to shave the contours of a woman’s body. The more blades a razor has, the more hairs you shave off in one single stroke.
If you haven’t tried it yet, you can get your FREE sample at Schick Hydro Silk’s Facebook page.
Schick Hydro Silk kit is $14.25, with 4 cartridge refill packs for $19.25. Available from Woolworths, Coles, Priceline and pharmacies nationally. For more information visit the Schick Hydro Silk Facebook page
1. Based unit sales of new women’s razors launched in the last 12 months. Aztec National Grocery Scan 8/9/13.