Sydneysiders, visitors and tourists heading to Sydney New Year’s Eve celebrations are being encouraged to enjoy themselves, but also take care of their friends throughout the night.
“This year’s theme is ‘Creation’ which is that universal, beautiful and magical thing that binds us all together for this wonderful night of celebration and togetherness,” said Sydney New Year’s Eve Creative Director Rhoda Roberts.
“Sydney New Year’s Eve is a free community event and we want everyone to enjoy the celebrations safely, look after each other on the night and have a safe and memorable start to 2009.”
The City of Sydney’s official nominated charity for 2008 Sydney New Year’s Eve is Planet Ark.
Make it a memorable night
- Pick a vantage point and be aware that it may fill up quickly
- Plan ahead and take public transport, walk or cycle
- Remember to cycle safely: take note of road closures and be aware of an increased Police presence targeting dangerous behaviour
- Take a radio: tune into 2Day FM for synchronised 9pm and Midnight Fireworks soundtracks
Make it a safe night
- Look after your mates: plan where to meet if you get separated as mobile phone networks can be congested
- Eat well throughout the day and evening, drink plenty of water and limit your alcoholintake to ensure you make it to midnight
- Say no when you know you’ve had enough to drink, and support your friend’s decision if they choose not to drink or decide to stop
- Be aware that following a request from NSW Police, George Street is an Alcohol Free Zone from 30 December 2008 to 2 January 2009, which means that it is an offence to drink alcohol on George Street between Park Street and Circular Quay. Police can confiscate alcohol to prevent the escalation of alcohol related anti-social behaviour in this area
Make it a green night
- Remember not to take glass to the event
- Put rubbish into the bins provided or take it with you
- Bin your butts
For home viewers, the countdown to midnight is broadcast live on both the Network Ten and 2Day FM, with broadcasts of the 9pm Family Fireworks and Midnight Fireworks displays.
Vantage points, event details, safe celebrating and transport tips are available at www.sydneynewyearseve.com or by phoning the City of Sydney on 02 9265 9333.